Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Maus

Maus is a graphic novel I thought that I would never read. As I read through the first four chapters it seems that I have become hooked. When at first we were told that we would be reading a comic I was in fact shocked. I have to admit I have never read a comic before. The comic at first was rather difficult for me to read, but it became second nature after the first chapter. What caught my eye had to have been the black and white pictures. I love the way the pictures are drawn. They are quite sketchy but for some reason the style caught my eye. They story is of a son and father that are coming to terms with each other and on the other hand the father is recalling the events in his life through Hitler’s reign. I tend to enjoy reading things of past events. I especially love to hear of events that are related to history that are told form firsthand experience. By telling this story through a comics view I believe softens the reality of what the characters have gone through.

The fact is that people have many memories that allow us to experience what happened to them during that time in their life. In chapter one I like how we are introduced to Art’s father. If you didn’t know already you can only tell that the father and son have a distant relationship. Art’s father Vladek as of being older and wiser is a very tired man. His life has drained him. Also in chapter one we are introduced to a girl by the name of Lucia that Vladek has dated. You can say she is made to seem obsessed with Vladek and she almost causes the breakup between Anja and Vladek. Anja is Art’s mother. In chapter four we have the introduction of Anja’s grandparents. They were to be transported to Czechoslovakia a place for older folks. But what we know it’s not true. We know from history the Germans had other plans. They didn’t want to be separated, so they hid them. They are a close family so separating them will just be hurtful. You know if I was in that situation I would have hid them also. I guess it’s what you do for your family.

Although we can get a lot of information from reading but I believe the pictures in this book helps explain the details. For instance, the grandparents of Anja are hiding in a false wall. What’s illustrated is a cut view with great detail of how the storage shed was made. Another good illustration was the dream that Vladek had. It is made to seem like the hand of God has touched him. There he is told he would be free on the day of Parshas Truma. I find it quite interesting that this picture can hold so much meaning. I also like the picture that’s in chapter one of the Lucia on the floor holding on to Vladek’s leg. If I was just reading the book I don’t think I would be able to visual the desperation she had for Vladek.

We are made to believe that history is what text books say it is. Without any evidence of cause or effect sometimes it’s made not to be true. So, I like when stories are told from first hand experiences. I’m glad that Art can give us this view through a comic book. Not only is the information interesting the fluidity makes you want to keep on reading. I know that sometimes history can be very boring and some may think why we need to learn about this stuff. But what I think history is our life lessons. We are not meant to repeat things that happen in the past. So by reading this comic I believe I’m being taught a lesson in someone else’s culture. It’s just supple touch turned into a comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment